Saturday, January 19, 2013

New Years Change of Heart

The year turns and we survive the end of the world. In this post-apocalyptic day, we've made our New Year's resolutions and begun working towards check-marking them off our lists. This year's resolutions seem less resolutions, less "do this" or "stop doing that," and more goals to strive towards, checkpoints to mark off of our calendars. "Accomplish this by this date." "Be able to do this by this date." Some are intellectual pursuits - publish another review, publish an actual poem, get 3-5 A's this semester, etc... Some are physical pursuits - do more yoga, be able to do chattaranga and a head stand. Some are creative pursuits - paint a painting, make a sculpture.

Along with the new year, a new pursuit has come along. Rather than continue to scholarly pursue writing and performance (though I still love both), I've decided to pursue another love: psychology. After years of probing, delving, and exploring, I've come to realize that I want to be a clinical psychologist. I've finally realized what it is I want to be when I "grow up." 

It's a weird discovery to make, the "what I'll do with my life" discovery. I've been experimenting with various hobbies and opportunities - writing, acting, modeling, art, philosophy, film, history - and now, suddenly, it all clicks. For the first time in over two years I feel like I'm solidly working towards a feasible goal, a realistic profession, something that promises work and income, while simultaneously satisfying my interests and intellectual pursuits. 

All of this AND I will become the first female Doctor in my family. Boo yah!!

On top of this, we've been reconfiguring the apartment. After a failed attempt at a Stora Ikea bed (only suitable for one person or 200 lbs and flimsy as hell, we came to find), we are now researching how to make our own loft bed, a seeming necessity for city living. Hopefully, it won't crash and fall apart. I'll keep you posted.

A Thought: More a realization of my own than a thought for all of you to ponder, pursuing this field will make me not only my parent's daughter (as I obviously am), but now also their colleague. Not that I'm pursuing this for either or them or that reason, it is non-the-less really awesome that I'll be on a similar plane to my parents and, quite frankly, even surpass them in ways. There's something about children that begs to surpass their parents, to continue onwards and upwards, exceeding and reaching ever higher. I will be their colleague, but I will be the Dr. in the family. 

A Find: Notelettes make a really awesome student planner. I'm super picky about my planners and the one that I got is absolutely wonderful. Complete with: Conversion tables for metric measurements, distance, european clothes sizes, lists of holidays and dates, national currencies and time differences, semester schedule planner, regular planner with weekly notes section, lined paper section, grid paper section, and blank paper section. How cool is that?!?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment