Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pavlov's Season

The calendar tells us when fall begins, but it is wrong. Fall is here, walking the city streets with slightly dusty jackets and newly bought scarves. It closes it's cafe windows and doors to keep the suddenly cooler breeze outside and the steam from coffees and lattes in. 

From the years of schooling that we all face, we are conditioned to associate the drop in temperature with an increase in productivity. We put on our sweaters and suddenly want to work harder than we did during the lazy days of summer. That is not to say we didn't work. New York is a strict headmaster who doesn't allow laziness within his borders. But now, fall wraps around us like our sweaters and we ache for full pens and blank papers, bright computer screens, and the need to prove ourselves. Whether in school or not, we can't stop attributing fall to getting focused and moving forward. 

Autumn found me back at school, a bag full of heavy text books on my back and new blisters on my feet. I have to readjust to the way my reading glasses slowly slip off my nose, to the way my eyes tire if I don't use them, to the way my right hand cramps slightly as I right responses for exams. People argue that time moves in a linear fashion, but I don't believe them. It is fall, I am a senior in NYC. It is fall, I am a high school student in central Jersey. It is fall, I am an elementary student a few towns east of where I will go to high school. It is fall, and suddenly all these previous years are back again and repeating. I'm still so excited about buying new pens, still walking the street so proudly with my bag full of heavy text books I have yet to read. Time moves cyclically, I am sure of it. It's a spring in your mattress, stretching and shrinking, often touching on past cycles. 

A Thought: Everyone follows their own personal "right." If they didn't believe it was "right," they probably wouldn't do it. When someone bothers or annoys you, it's their "right" clashing with your personal "right," not necessarily them being assholes or doing "wrong." Realizing this made me so much nicer to people.

A Find: I found my fall drink. It is basil lemonade and it was fantastic. I wouldn't have thought that I'd enjoy drinking basil, but I do. It's really great and really good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment